Ergonomic Meditation Seat Designed by a Physiotherpist
Do You Struggle to Sit Comfortably in Meditation?
Sitting cross-legged on the floor is the position most associated with meditation and many people want to meditate in this position whether or not they have a regular yoga practice or are used to sitting on the floor.
Maybe you use a rectangular yoga block and find yourself perching with the front edge digging into the back of your thighs or perhaps you use a cushion or bolster but still struggle to get comfortable.
To support the stillness desirable for an effective meditation practice we need to be comfortable – and the better our posture, the more likely we are to be physically at ease and relaxed.
The Buttafly has been designed by TillyLou James, a leading physiotherapist and yoga teacher, to help you sit with comfort and ease during meditation and pranayama:
- The gently sloping upper surface supports the pelvis in a way that makes it easy for you to sit with good posture and where the natural curves are in place;
- The unique groove at the back avoids pressure on the tailbone and the base of the spine;
- The indent at the front provides space for the feet.
- When the natural curves of the spine are in place
- When the head balances on the body
- When there is no tension in the neck or back muscles
- When the deeply placed postural muscles work gently away in the background
- When your tummy is soft, the shoulders relaxed, the tongue and jaw free of tension
- When your breath is unconscious and unlaboured
When the body is comfortable, the nervous system relaxes – the ergonomic shape of the Buttafly is designed with your body in mind to help you achieve comfort and ease.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR BUTTAFLY
When you sit cross-legged without any support, if your knees are this high off the ground we recommend the Standard Buttafly will likely be best for you.
When you sit cross-legged without any support, if your knees are this high off the ground we recommend the Standard Buttafly + Flat Buttafly will work best for you.
There will likely be times when you prefer the ease of both, and times where you want the effort of working more actively to sit.
When you sit cross-legged if your knees are this high off the ground we recommend the Tall Buttafly.
If you need additional height, the Flat Buttafly can be used to stack it up.
To make small adjustments to your posture, try using a blanket either on top of your chosen Buttafly or folded up and placed under your legs.
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO HELP YOU CHOOSE YOUR BUTAFLY
Step-by-Step Guide to Sitting on the Buttafly
Are You an Allied Health Professional or a Teacher of Yoga or Pilates?
Enjoy discounts, special offers, early bird prices on our workshops and more. We invite you to apply to Kaleidoscope, our programme for affiliates.